Mission Statement: The Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation, Inc. supports communication, encourages interaction, and allocates resources between the community and/or private sector and the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit for the purpose of promoting and enhancing opportunities for students and educators throughout Westmoreland County.
The mission of the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation is to provide supplemental support to students, teachers, and educational programs throughout Westmoreland County. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization intended to create a more cohesive partnership between the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit and the community it serves. While the WIU Foundation's primary goal will be to secure revenues from private sources to be used for educational projects its mission will include:
- The development of relationships between the schools and the business community:
- The generation of increased community awareness and involvement; and
- Collaboration between schools and area corporations/professionals on specific projects.
The three goals - to raise funds, to develop resources, and to generate public awareness - are reliant upon one another.
The WIU Foundation will seek support - financial or in-kind - to implement programs or purchase equipment that could not or should not be supported with public dollars. It will also provide a vehicle to organize, conduct, and fund special events and community-oriented activities that serve to promote and enhance the WIU for the benefit of those school districts and students whom we serve.
Funding will be pursued for both the implementation of innovative new programs for students as well as enhancement of existing programs. They may entail:
- Funding of teacher's classroom projects:
- Procurement (by donation or purchase) of equipment not available through regular revenue streams;
- Scholarships to teachers pursuing advanced training;
- Securing corporate professionals to work with IU educators and staff;
- Scholarships for students pursuing degrees in special education; and
- Other activities beneficial to the children we serve.
The WIU Foundation will offer flexibility in what can be funded, allowing educators and administrators to be more creative in student programming, increasing the potential for higher quality and innovative educational programs.
Separate of the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit, the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation, Inc. is a volunteer-driven nonprofit entity to enrich the educational experience for students, particularly those with special needs, throughout Westmoreland County. The WIU Foundation supports communication, encourages interactions, and allocates resources from the community and/or private sector for the purpose of promoting and enhancing opportunities for both students and educators. Funding is targeted to assist with creative projects that cultivate the opportunities available to those students and to increase the efficiency of their teachers.
The WIU Foundation relies upon the generosity of the community to supplement funding through cash contributions, memorials, donations of products or services, and participation in fundraising events. Since the organization is registered as a 501(c)(3) agency, most gifts are fully tax-deductible.
Board of Directors
Current members of the WIU Foundation Board of Directors are:
- Luann Murtha, President ~ WIU Teacher
- Sharon Rupert, Vice President ~ retired WIU Supervisor
- Lynne Leu, Treasurer ~ retired WIU Financial Services Director
- Kayla Tamer, Secretary ~ WIU Marketing & Communications Specialist
- Dr. Jason Conway ~ WIU Executive Director
- Roberta Cook ~ Community
- Laurette Eades ~ Aflac
- Timothy Hammill ~ WIU Curriculum Services Director
- Stu Hartman ~ Aflac
- Linda Leghart ~ Community
- Denise Lohr ~ WIU Early Intervention Administration
- Dr. Rebecca McGee ~ WIU Student Services Supervisor
- Angela Moffat ~ First Commonwealth Bank
- Terri Pajak ~ WIU Classroom Assistant
- Roanne Smith ~ WIU Student Services Division Secretary
- Colleen Suchko ~ Principal, Clairview School
- Dr. Matt Thomas ~ WIU Student Services Director
Ways to Support the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation
Payroll Deduction for WIU Employees - WIU Foundation Giving Form
Monetary Donation - WIU Foundation Giving Form
- Amazon Smile
Welcome to AmazonSmile!
Thank you for supporting WIU Foundation (Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation).
Remember, always start at smile.amazon.com and Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases.
Amazon recently introduced AmazonSmile Charity Lists, a product donation platform built specifically for charities, with unique features that make it easier for customers to donate items to WIU Foundation (Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation). To access Charity Lists, log in to http://org.amazon.com
- Fundraising Events
Please keep checking our Upcoming Events section for Events/Dates
Annual WIU Foundation Spring BINGO Bash - held each Spring at Rizzo's Banquet Center, Crabtree, PA
Impact Grants are a program initiative of the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization that supports communication, encourages interaction, and allocates resources from the community and/or private sector for the purpose of promoting and enhancing educational opportunities for students and educators throughout Westmoreland County.
Grants of up $1,000 are available to educators in both district-operated and WIU-operated classrooms throughout Westmoreland County and are not limited to special education services, although inclusion of special education students will be considered a plus. Proposals will be accepted bi-annually. Spring applications for implementation in the fall semester, and fall applications for implementation in the spring semester.
County Wide Programs
Calling All Artists.....The Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation sponsors the yearly Champion of the Arts Show/Competition held each Spring. All students in grades K-12 throughout Westmoreland County with a disability are invited to exhibit their artwork for the exhibit. Each year has a theme for the artists. Please check Upcoming Events for dates/deadlines.
The Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation sponsors a yearly Holiday Dance held at Clairview School each December. Students in grades 1-12 throughout Westmoreland County are invited.
Variety The Children's Charity
Helping Kids, Be Kids. Variety enables children with disabilities to live life to the fullest with a focus on mobility, communication, and social inclusion.
Variety is an amazing organization started in Pittsburgh. The Westmoreland Intermediate Unit Foundation wants to help find children for their awesome program. Variety is striving to identify and serve EVERY single eligible child that could benefit from an adaptive bike, adaptive stroller, and/or communication device. Please contact the WIU Foundation, we can get an application to you and help you to complete, if needed.
Follow us on Facebook to keep updated on Events: WIU Foundation
Upcoming Events: Due to the uncertainties of the current national health emergency, the Champions of Art event and Spring Bingo Bash have been cancelled.
- Champions of Art: We are excited to announce the 2020 Champions of Art Festival will be held on Saturday, March 21st at the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit. Last year's competition was a resounding success and we look forward to this year's event to be an even more exhilarating. Watching the delight on the student's faces is an inspiration to all in attendance. Please encourage each of your special needs students to enter this event. Also, feel free to share this information with each of the special education teachers and art teachers in your district. Below is the pertinent information for this year's competition. Your class is invited to take a field trip to view all of the artwork prior to the festival on Thursday, March 19th or Friday, March 20th. Field trip sign-ups will be conducted in February or early March. Looking forward to seeing the creativity of your students.
- Spring BINGO Bash: Sunday, April 26, 2020 at Rizzo's Event Center, Crabtree, PA