Dr. Jason A. Conway, Executive Director
As the Executive Director of the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit (WIU), allow me to be the first to welcome you to our organization's website. The WIU is a regional education services agency that provides cost-effective, management-efficient programs to public and private K-12 schools, school districts, and the community of Westmoreland County and beyond. Today, we continue to fulfill our mission of service by addressing both traditional and emerging needs, serving as an essential link for learning in Pennsylvania, and as a liaison between local schools and the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Seated in the Southwestern region of Pennsylvania and covering 1,036 square miles, Westmoreland County is home to approximately 354,663 residents, 48,560 of whom are students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are 17 school districts and 3 career and technology schools located within the county that stretches over 37 boroughs and 20 townships. The WIU operates an administrative building and the Clairview School, which houses students with low incident special needs. The Clairview School provides services to approximately 110 students.
It is our mission to provide a collective system of support to enhance educational opportunities for our community and the learners we serve. Since the General Assembly creation of the intermediate unit system in 1971, we have expanded our educational leadership, using our expertise to provide services not only to Westmoreland counties' 17 public school districts, but also to non-public schools, education agencies, parents, preschools, adult learners, businesses, municipalities, and more. Despite this growth, everything that we do supports our core mission of improving student learning.
At the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit, we believe:
- all learners are unique and capable of making a positive impact.
- all individuals can learn.
- the power of a good education improves quality of life.
- effective collaboration provides for optimal learning opportunities.
- in fostering dynamic leadership and expertise.
- in portraying professionalism in every interaction.
- in embracing diversity.
In providing our services, we have 3 strategic principles:
- Operate as the premier leading experts for providing student, curriculum, technology, infrastructure, financial, and executive services.
- Operate as a state-level player for leading state initiatives.
- Operate as a purposeful entrepreneurial enterprise for educational opportunities.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, we are very proud of our staff at the Westmoreland Intermediate Unit and are thankful for all of the people who support us. Across the state, we join 28 other Intermediate Units in this same mission and together we do important work for children and families.
We invite you to explore our website to discover how we might be able the help you--perhaps in ways you never imagined!